Friday, August 31, 2007

Following in Giant's footsteps

As I awoke to a gray upstate New York morning, with nowt to see for miles but mist shrouded trees, interspersed with the occasional passing small town or river crossing, a few things came to mind as I sipped my morning coffee...

As a child, reading the 'Classic Comics' version of the 'Tale of the Headless Horseman', which was set in this part of the world. The mood outside just made it leap to mind - I know not why.

You may recall my earlier mention of reading Paul Theroux, before embarking upon this trip. His journey started on this very same train which I'm now riding - albeit in the opposite direction, so I thought that making that linkage was kind of cool too.

Another positive influence on me in recent times, particularly in terms of doing a blog on this trip, is Gareth Morgan. I was first introduced to Gareth when presented with his 'Silk Riders' book as a birthday present by Ted & Jenny (a.k.a. my parents). This documented a motorcycle trip following the in the footsteps of Marco Polo from Italy to China. This book was then followed up earlier this year by the release of 'Backblocks America' doumenting a similarly adventurous trip around North America. Both excellent reads, by a very intelligent and insightful, but down-to-earth Kiwi, and supported by an excellent website - World by Bike.
Gareth, Jo and crew are currently in Africa - well worth checking out, makes my wee adventure pale in comparision.

Anyways, back to the 'Lake Shore Limited'. Possibly a more apt moniker if you are westbound, but I slept through Lake Erie (or should that be past, as we didn't get wet), but one thing was evident - due to host railroad CSX doing major summer maintenance, we were going to be a good hour and a half late into Albany, NY., where our train split in two, with the main section continuing to New York City, while those of us bound for Massachusetts were downgraded to a coach only service for the last five hour leg into Boston.

Once settled, and underway again, I retired to the snack car to escape the mad-woman from San Francisco seated in front of me, who just would not shut the $%^& up, and settled down with a chicken burger, a half bottle of California Merlot, and Kathy Reichs (in paperback, I hasten to add). Not along afterward, I was accosted by a fellow passenger who accused me, in quite friendly terms, of being a railfan. This might possibly have had something to do with my wearing a bright red tee shirt emblasoned with Rocky the Mountain Goat, the Great Northern Railway mascot, which I had picked up at the Isaak Walton Inn.

It turned out that Dave was also going to Portland for the convention, so we had a bit of a chat over dinner. I must get more of these RR shirts - seems a good way of attracting a certain type of company. Hmmm I can think of other possibilities too......

Amazingly enough, we were only ten minutes late arriving in Boston. I did think five hours looked a long time for a relatively short leg. Methinks Amtrak keeps the occasional scheduling ace up their corporate sleeve.

A quick cab ride to my flash hotel in Back Bay, and all tucked up ready for bed by 11:00pm. A longish day, but I've made to the right coast, and state number 14!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear that you are going well according to plan.
We are saving Gareth Morgan's accounts of his African trip as published page by page in the Listener.
First day of spring today, fall for you!
Ted and Jenny

Anonymous said...

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew
of any widgets I could add to my blog that
automatically tweet my newest twitter updates. I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

my site - summer internship