Saturday, September 8, 2007

Kermit goes Skyward

I had the corvette checked out by a local mechanic today, and had a good look at the undercarriage when it was up on the hoist. The news is all good!!

No structural rust - a bit of surface rust, but that's to be expected in a 32 year old car.

New brake-lines & calipers, New fuel pump & radiator, New shocks, and plenty of evidence of regular maintenance. All very reassuring. The emissions test indicates the motor is is good nick, and my test drive left me more impressed than I expected to be, and with a big grin on my face.

The VIN checks out as a genuine L82 (205 hp vs. 165 hp for the standard L48 motor), and as the hi comp motor represented less than 7% of that year's production, it is definitely more desirable from a collector's perspective.

Even better, it is remarkably original in almost every respect - or unmolested, as the collector fraternity would say. Not that originality is hugely important to me per se, but from a future resale perspective, I'm very comfortable that it will be a good investment, and the purchase price is very fair.

So, deposit paid, insurance sorted out, and now I must patiently wait for the wire transfer to come through from home to Brendan's account. It's gonna be a long weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You are now a conoisseur/collector.
T & J