Thursday, September 13, 2007

Yes, I am still here!

Just a quick update; its been a busy few days, and not too much time (or indeed the creative spark) to keep you all up to date.

A very quick rundown on the last few days:

After the convention, I headed south for Boston, and traded one rental car for another (playing the price game), followed by an overnight stopover in a western Boston suburb. Next day I headed down through Connecticut, with a stop a Mystic Seaport - which merits its own post, checked out a 'vette which was a POS and ended in Stamford CT. for the night.

Next day, headed to Long Island, NY, to check out another couple of 'vettes, which is where Kermit came into the picture. Nothing is straight-forward in New York (especially when it comes to dealing with the Department of Motor Vehicles), and it was Tuesday afternoon before I managed to escape.

Went into Manhattan on 9/11. Hated it. Being lost, and caught in a hellacious thunderstorm didn't exactly help.

Caught up with some old friends in New Jersey yesterday afternoon, and enjoyed an all too brief catch up, follwed by an early dinner with them, before being pointed in the direction of eastern Pennsylvania.

Today was a wee detour up to Scranton PA, and the DL&W 'Steamtown' museum, then on to Altoona PA for the night. I'm becoming a big fan of the Econolodge chain - they are getting cheaper the further I get from the Atlantic coast, and have free Wi-Fi on tap.

Tomorrow, after a quick look at PRR's 'Horseshoe Curve' on the way out of town, I'll be heading for Pocohontas / N&W country via Cumberland MD.

Kermit the Green Machine is going really well, and is surprisingly comfortable to drive. I know the yanks think of 'vettes as sports cars, but I'm starting to thing of Kermit more as a Grand Turismo than a 'real' sports car. Not a bad thing with another 3,000 miles to go over the next 12 days!

I have a feeling I won't be finishing this blog until well after I get home. Lots to tell, and the remainder of the trip is going to involve more time on the road than I had originally envisaged, as the whole car buying process took twice as long as I had hoped. I will keep you posted though. I'll just have a bunch of things to expand on, and stories to tell to fill in some of the blanks.

The bottom line is: it's not all been beer and skittles, but no major dramas, and I'm definitely having fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

woohoo a slightly crazed kiwi driving a frog for 3000 miles... heh heh what blast !

enjoy yerself and have fun
Love RoB>)

Anonymous said...

Keep on having fun. We can catch up when you come home and fill the gaps.
We are watching you!!
Love T & J