Thursday, September 6, 2007

Stop the Presses - 'Vette Found !!! ???

Well, I think I might have found the right car! Not perfect, but close enough.

It's a well maintained, very original 1975 L82 (the 'high' performance motor), 4 speed in a particularly lurid (but allegedly correct for the year) metallic green (yes, Ian, GREEN!!!).

It's a later model than I really wanted, and it doesn't have A/C, which I might regret, but in all other respects stacks up really well. And it's well under budget, which considering I just blew US$4,500 on an unanticipated but necessary purchase (more on this later), is a welcome bonus.

It is currently owned by a NY Firefighter, called Brendan, who seems a really nice guy, and has owned his 'baby' for 15 years. He's only selling it due to a second child having just arrived, and I got a good vibe from him - unlike a couple of other sellers I've met just recently.

Next step is a Friday morning trip to the mechanic for a lift on the hoist to check the chassis &c. for rust, and to do a compression check. If it passes that test, and another test drive, I think we have a have a deal. Fingers crossed!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We stopped the presses! It's not exactly British racing green, but for someone who speaks with a NZ accent it seems ok. We will watch this space with great interest. Please remember our speed limit is 100km.
Where are you now it is Thursday 6th September here - bright sunshine but cold SE wind. Love from T & J.

bill said...

Congratulations Simon,

If your posting about this Vette then it must be something special. I'm looking forward to hearing what your mysterious $4500 purchase was. I sure hope that it was something EV related

I'm enjoying reading about your adventures.

Enjoy and keep safe and healthy.

Bill
Portland, Oregon