Sunday, September 2, 2007

Into the North Woods - (was playing around with Maps)

Saturday, 25 August

I had planned a fairly ambitious itinerary for this particular Saturday, perhaps a little too ambitious in the circumstances, but hey, the weather was great (high 20's, sunny, if a bit on the humid side), & I had 4 litres of Chrysler grunt under the bonnet.

After my usual leisurely start to the day, I left my hotel in South Portland [1], and crusied up I295 to the very pretty little village of Wiscasset [2], on the Sheepscot River. Back in the day, Wiscasset was the southern terminus of the Wiscasset and Quebec RR (Later Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmington Ry), the first of the Maine 2 foot gauge lines to be chartered. Second in size only to the Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes RR in size, it lasted into the 1930s before, like it's compatriots, it succumbed to progress, and the encroachment of the automobile.

More on the WWandF later, when I report on my visit to the museum at Sheepscot - a real highlight of the trip so far.

Wiscasset today remains a picturesque village, making a living from selling antiques to 'rusticators' from 'away', as tourists are known hereabouts.

I enjoyed a crab roll, (my first, and mighty fine it was too) and a local Shipyard ale for lunch, at a restaurant which used to be the local garage. Looking north towards the WWandF upper yard - old right of way on trestle-work on the right

My view overlooking the river corresponded very closely to a couple of photos in my trusty copy of Linwood W. Moody's The Maine Two Footers' which I had brought over with me for reference. It was a bit of a thrill (sad, eh?), to actually be on the spot which I'd read about, and to still see remnants of the trestlework, which carried the narrow gauge along the shore-front all those years ago.


Next stop was an hour or so north, to see if anything remained of the Kennebec Central RR. This titan of the two footers ran for all of five miles, between Randolph [3], and Togus [4], bringing coal from the deep river port of Randolph, on the Kennebec River to the Old Soldiers Home in Togus, as well as shuttling the old soldiers themselves between the two points, so they could sample the fobidden delights of Randolph, and Gardiner on t'other side of the river.















Looking across the Kennebec River to the location of Randolph yard - old yard retaining wall just visible above speedboat.

Apparently, the RR crews were known to help smuggle drunken old soldiers back home on occasion, when they were attempting to return home after lights out. I'm sure Matron would have disapproved!

There wasn't a lot to see here, RR-wise, but it's a lovely spot, and if I were an old soldier 90 odd years ago, I reckon it would have been an agreeable spot to wait for God. Mind you, I've not seen it in wintertime!
















One of the many picturesque buildings remaining at Togus


Next up was back on the trail of the WWandF, this time, with a side trip to Albion [5], to check out what remained of the northern terminus of the line.

It was a bit of a challenge to find, not being on any modern maps, but I did get lucky, finally chancing on the right spot late afternoon.

I braved the 32 degree heat, and met all the members of the Albion Historical Society, who were busy working on building a new blacksmith shop adjacent to the old depot, which is undergoing restoration.

All three members gave me a guided tour, and I think they were quite chuffed that a Kiwi had come all this way to check them out - this novelty factor has opened a lot of doors for me here in the U.S., and you can bet I'm making the most of it :-).

I was starting to wilt in the heat by this time, so was happy to continue heading north through Waterville [6] towards my overnight stay at 'Moosehead Lake Lodge' [8].















Albion Station, and the remnants of the 2' line.


After dinner at the picturesque village of Dover-Foxcroft [7], I finally found my way through the boonies, to meet mine hosts, Jack and Joyce, at their very agreeable BnB, buried in the woods. Still no moose, but Jack did show me some nice photos of some wandering around the back yard. That, and two metre high snowdrifts in the front yard in February!

Well, by dusk I was absolutely shattered, and enjoyed an early night. Just after lights out, a front passed over, with a spectacular thunderstorm ahead of it. Sure killed the humidity, and set the scene for a perfect week to come, with blue skies, and balmy mid 20's temps. Absolutely Perfick!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The map idea is great. Thanks Simon.

Anonymous said...

This is a grand idea, we wish you had thought of it back in Oregan. Our atlas is much too small a scale to find some of the smaller places, so go ahead and post more please!
Go well and sidestep the bugs!
Love T & J.

Anonymous said...

Yea the map is a great idea simon!